Sunday, March 17, 2013

This is What 400 Hexipuffs Looks Like!

(Warning: If you don't have the hexipox, read with caution. It is VERY contagious!!)

My bedroom has terrible lighting, but you get the idea.  I'm very proud of myself as one of my goals this year is to knit a hexipuff a day and as of this picture taken last week, I'd knit 100!  I've knit at least 10 more since, so I'm well on my way to meeting my goal this year.  I love my Beekeeper's Quilt. It's fun to make, easy to do on the go since you're making small little hexipuffs to sew together later (I never leave the house without at least a small ball of yarn and 3 needles), and a great way to use up leftover bits of sock yarn.  Oh, and it's warm and cozy, too. My cat loves to sleep on it and the weight of all those little puffs is quite comforting on cold nights.  I can't wait to see how big it is at the end of the year! My end goal is to make it the size of the comforter under it.

Anybody else have the hexipox?  Are you sewing as you go like me and Lolo (she caught the pox from me-cough cough), or are you saving them up till you have them all made?  How many do you have?  I love seeing pictures of what other people are doing with theirs. 

Happy Knitting!


Monday, March 4, 2013

Mending Monday

I had a hole in one of my very favourite pairs of socks.  They are Monkey by Cookie A.  which nearly all of us have knit at least once. I think I've made at least 3 pairs. But this pair is MINE. I knit them toe up in Koigu and I love love love them. I probably wear them at least once a week.  So, the hole was devastating!

I put them in a drawer and vowed to fix it and they've been sitting there for several months.  But I MISS them (and I'm low on laundry!) so it was time to mend. 
I keep small amounts of all my sock yarns for just such an occasion in a ziplock bag in my stash, so I dug that out and then picked up the stitches above and below the hole on two small needles. I think I used  my 000's.  Then I grafted them together just as if I was kitchenering a toe of a sock.  Then, I reinforced the areas around the hole with the ends.  I wove them through the rows following the stitches themselves in the places where the yarn looked a bit worn.  Then I weaved the ends inside the sock.  It took all of 5 minutes, and look!

You can barely tell there was ever a hole! Hopefully this will hold up for many more wears, but if it doesn't, I have plenty more scrap yarn for mending.  I'm just annoyed at myself for taking so long to fix it!!

Don't procrastinate like me!  Today's lesson: a fixed sock is a wearable sock!  :)

Happy Knitting!