I finished my Cloudy Day Beret this week!
I did it in fingering weight instead of sport weight like the pattern calls for because I have a tiny head. It worked out really well. I just added one pattern repeat before decreasing at the top and it worked fine. The ribbing was still a bit loose, but I added some elastic and it fits great. This is what I always do for hats and it's working out pretty well for me.
I love Alana Dakos' patterns and have been a long time listener of her Never Not Knitting podcast. I love the organic elements in her patterns. She often draws inspiration from nature and uses lots of leaves, vines and interesting cables. And she picks such lush rich yarns to knit her patterns in! This hat has a fun raindrop motif, each raindrop has a bobble in the middle to give it a fun 3D texture. Lolo did her Autumn Vines Beret in a gorgeous rust colour (which I was totally going to post a picture of, but she doesn't have one up on Ravelry. Boo!) and one day I am definitely doing the Cedar Leaves Shawlette and the Shawl Collared Cowl. I even have the yarn in my stash for the cowl, I just need to get around to it!!
She has patterns for women and children, and if that wasn't enough, Alana has a new pattern book out: Botanical Knits! There are so many patterns in here I'm excited about, I want to knit the whole book RIGHT NOW! So, if anyone was looking for a gift idea for me, this book (and yarns to knit ALL the patterns!) would be a great idea. :)
So, back to my beret! I started with 2 skeins of MadTosh Sock in Silver Fox, which I overdyed to make more silvery. I knit my Cladonia Shawlette...
Onion Market Wrist Warmers. I'm going to adapt them a bit, add a thumb and do a bit of ribbing top and bottom and make them shorter. I'll probably STILL have yarn leftover when I'm done, but that's ok, it'll go to make hexipuffs. Can't have too much hexipuff yarn! (I had 379 hexipuffs as of last night!!)