Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New year, new name, new everything!

Wow, we made it through the most famous doomsday! Waking up on December 22, things seemed much like they'd always been....

     Earlier in the month, J and I got married! Woo! Of course, all the usual things like it was a lovely, memorable day, I was so happy to have all of my nearest and dearest there and I love my husband like I can't explain. I knew I had to something knitterly for the ceremony so I decided to make my veil. After poking around on Ravelry, I picked Snow Peacock from tonksknits. At Rhinebeck, I'd found some pale cream-colored fingering weight yarn in a wool and mohair blend.

     With the deadline well in mind, I started knitting, and kitting, and knitting. I plowed through it pretty easily until I hit the last 10 rows. This was when it was the biggest and well deep into the lace repeats. The numbers just weren't adding up! I had too many stitches per repeat, and I couldn't see when it had started to go wrong.....the horror! I checked for errata and searched for posts about anyone else having the same kind of trouble.....no luck. I decided to soldier on, adjusting the repeats to "my" number and, thank goodness, everything turned out perfect:

 
It's blocking on our double bed, I think it's about 5' wide.
 
I plan to put it away for safe keeping as a family heirloom. :)

Our weeding day was perfect. Everything went perfectly, except when it didn't in really cute ways. It was small, close-knit and exactly what we wanted. :) Right after the ceremony, J and I zipped up to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) for two nights away in what we called our "mini-moon". We stayed on the 29th floor of the Hilton:

 
 
 
At night, they light up the falls. :) I forgot that photo. :(

I now know the joy of changing your name! My new initials are LL, which puts me in good company with Bruce Banner, Lois Lane and Peter Parker, maybe I should look into superhero-ship!

After the wedding and "mini-moon", we were thrown into the holidays! I made a couple housewarming/little gifts for the in-laws we went to:
                   
                               

A cute little felted snowman for my mother-in-law - it was first try at needle felting and it was really cool! I know I'd maligned it in the past but I think I'll be needle felting again! It does remind me a little bit of cross-stitch in that, after a while, you run out of things to needle felt (or space to put cross-stitch). It's a kit I got at Michael's by Dimensions, they also have owls and hedgehogs and bears, etc. The wine bottle cozy was another pattern from Ravelry out of some acrylic yarn, that was for father-in-law. I knit it pretty much in one night so if you need an easy project last-minute, it's a really good one!



The little turtles were for a co-worker's daughter. The one the left is Tuck by Susan B. Anderson - its arms and legs tuck inside, just like a real turtle! I found the other one on Ravelry, but I forget its name. It's amazing what comes up when you just search for "Turtle"!

     For Christmas, my husband bought me Knit Local: Celebrating America's Home Grown Yarns by Tanis Gray! I love that new book - it has beautiful projects and lovely profiles of independent spinners, dyers, and fiber artists and creators from all over the country. The first project I'm knitting from it is a pair of socks for my sister-in-law. The yarn is Knit Picks Chroma Fingering in Pegasus. The pattern is called Evergreen Ankle Socks by Faith Hale. I love this yarn! The colors are beautiful and it's some of the softest I've ever felt. It's a great option for a more affordable, luxury feeling yarn. The pattern is a standard cuff down with a simple heel flap; the lace pattern is easy enough to be fun but keeps you paying attention. Two thumbs up so far!
 
 
 
It's almost the end of the first day of 2013. I feel so lucky so far, I have a loving husband and wonderful family and friends. And, more yarn than I want to admit to. :)
 
All the best! Til next time......Lolo
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Your veil turned out so lovely. The silk in it gave it just a bit of a sheen when you were standing up in the church under the lights, the alpaca gave it a soft halo, the lace pattern was just gorgeous. It was perfect!

    ReplyDelete